Search This Blog

Saturday, August 8, 2009

An Introduction to GCC

Recently I am reading An Introduction to GCC. This is excellent book for learning GCC (at least for beginners). Author do not make any assumption about the person reading this book. If you are using Linux operating system then what you need to know before reading this book is probably only "gedit" or "vi/ vim" editor and you should have GCC installed on your Linux operating system.

This book teaches you different GCC options using some simple simple code samples. Just go through the table of contents of this book (left click on name of book on first line of this post).

If you are student then I will strongly recommend you to read this book and practice it on Linux. I have no doubt that learning C/ C++ using GCC will help you become a better programmer. Personally I really like Microsoft Visual Studio(I have used 6.0, 7.0, 8.0 and 9.0) but I think it is good to use GCC in the beginning.
I am bit doubtful at this stage whether I will keep liking Visual Studio in future or not, because of the powerful command prompt options available for GCC. Also if you hate/ fear command prompt then you can use GCC using some good IDE like eclipse.

I think the information given in this book is more than sufficient for beginner.

If you want to learn gcc on windows operating system, then you will need cygwin.Personally I find cygwin little difficult to use then bash shell in Linux. But for those who do not want to install Linux operating system - cygwin might be a possible option.

Jay Linux.

No comments:

Post a Comment