Search This Blog

Friday, August 7, 2009

Installing Fedora 11 on top of Ubuntu 9.04 be careful

Installed Fedora 11 (64 bit) on top of Vista (64 bit - pain in a**) and Ubuntu 9.04 (32 bit). Grub of Fedora removed the entry of Ubuntu and Vista from grub. (No surprise name of Fedora's grub is Anaconda!!).

I thought it will be easy to fix (With Yogeshwar's help), I tried to copy the entries from
sda\boot\grub\menu.lst to
sda\boot\grub\menu.lst

on reboot I could boot Vista (I dont use it for months so not of much use)

For Ubuntu it was showing me entries in grub but selecting any of 4 Ubuntu options (including repair ones) were giving me "Error15 file not found".

Some googling told me that I could try with entry root(hd, )

I tried with different combinations of x and y (actually not x because I have single hard disk for my Dell studio 15). For wrong y values I got error 17 :D and for probably right y - I got blank screen and cursor :].

It would have been great if I would have waited for some time and tried to find solution for this problem - I did some thing stupid in application called "Palimpsest Disk Utility" on Fedora and when I saw that Ubuntu partition is not bootablle I tried to make it bootable by checking the bootable check button (aah stupid thing)

Now my Ubuntu partition is not even detected by Fedora and I do not see any option but to reformat my machine.

So moral of the story ... if you are installing Fedora after Ubuntu better take care... (I will try to write what care if I could successfully install both)

No comments:

Post a Comment